It's supposed to be spring - in fact, this Friday (the day of the restaurant's inauguration) is officially the first day of spring.
It most certainly does not look or feel like it - it's freaking cold!
I would walk or take the bus if I need to get to downtown La Plata but the idea of battling the elements is...not so appealing hehehehehe.
We're supposed to get sun and nicer temps tomorrow. My fingers and toes are crossed.
Today was a pretty long day - I won't complain because dad has had days like these since he started this project. I helped my aunt mount a boatload of posters that we'll be hanging up on the walls of the pizzeria. She did all the gluing but I had to sand the edges of the boards we used and make the whole thing look pretty. I'm not done yet, so tomorrow morning it's back to work...we're in the home stretch, the opening is so soon!!! The place is a mess, still, but some of the waitstaff is coming in tomorrow and dad is having them clean everything up.
Enough about that - I owe you kids some pictures, no?
I mentioned a quick trip to Buenos Aires last week and here are some pics of La Boca - I've always wanted to go! We didn't spend much time, just walked around and had lunch (meat, meat, and more meat...oh, and a little salad).
It is a little touristy, which is to be expected, but if you overlook the other five million visitors trying to get a good shot of Caminito and just concentrate on the old buildings and alleyways and raised sidewalks (on account of the flooding), and just picture what this place was like 70 or 80 years ago, you can really feel how much history is in these streets.
My grandmother Nelis lived in this neighborhood (I want her to come with me next time so she can show me the exact bulding, if it's still there) - this is where she met my dashing sailor man grandpa :)
| This is the most well known shot of Caminito - a bazillion people have taken this same picture but this is one I took and that's so exciting to me! |
| I love these old buildings and how everything is kind of...askew. Pay no mind the wannabe supermodel there. Lolz. |
| I want to live in this house! |
| All the buildings are painted different colors and I think people still live in some of them, but a lot are now gift shops or museums. Photobomber on the left there is my uncle. |
| This is a plaque commemorating the composer and lyricist behind the famous tango, "Caminito" |
| Another cool little house - I'm pretty sure people actually live in this one. |
| This is the view from the other end of Caminito - I can't wait to come back for some shots when these trees are in full bloom! |
| Flags! |
| I'm obsessed with these lamp posts. |
| One of many gift shops nestled in the old neighborhood. |
| All the restaurants have a little stage with tango singers and/or dancers performing - this man was easily 102 but he could sing! |
| There are semi-creepy statues of famous folks on many of the balconies, but this one is my favorite: Gardel and Maradona!!! |
So that was my quick trip to La Boca, darlings. I hope I can go and spend a little more time there soon - you know how I love me some old buildings and history!
Speaking of, the next day I went into downtown La Plata and took a few pics of the cathedral - dad laid some parquet there a million years ago and it's still there!
| I love all the detail at the entrance, so pretty!
|
| This is where dad put down the parquet when he was a young'un |
| Here's a closeup - such craftsmanship! |
I have more pics of the inside of the cathedral, but I have to rotate them and my eyes are fixing to fall out of my head so I'll have to owe you the rest, darlings!
I also have pics of dad's house and of the restaurant now that the tables and chairs are in but those will come in the next post.
My grandmother is coming back to town tomorrow and I have a million things to do before the opening but I will post more as soon as I get a moment.
It's late and I have to get up early, for duty calls!
Check back soon for more pics and tidbits!
Love and miss you all a lot a lot a lot, but having a great time with dad even though he's kinda cray right now ;)
Kisses by the millions my darlings!
n*
wow! it all looks so amazing!!! I wanna go with you some day!! I can't wait to see how the pizza place will look with all the tables set up!! How about a pic of you b.t.w.....miss seeing you face sis! Keep the posts comming! we live for them!!! Kisses Mi Hermana!
ReplyDeleteI have a pic or two from last night with the fams, I will post tonight if I can!
DeleteAnything less than 3 posts a day is unacceptable, try again.
ReplyDeleteJust kidding. lawls. Noice pics though. I can't wait to see the pizza place!
Also after everything gets going you HAVE TO get on skype. I promised Lucianito it would happen this weekend. MKOY?? Anyways have fon (foin?). You are teh very lucky to be there.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...you funny Ollie!
DeleteDad gave me the webcam, I'll hok it up and we weeell talk thees weekend! I can't wait to see you crazy kids on the computing machine!
Que belleza de fotos negra!!! sos toda una profecional, no rush babe, no hagas caso de los q te apuran me imagino q estas bien ocupada tenes q estar fresca y bella maniana que todo salga de lo mejor y con mucho exito! saludos a tu pa despues del 21 mandas el resto no te preocupes debe ser una locura q suerte tienen q estas alli y ayudando! mejores augurios best wishes!! luv luv luv!! MOM
ReplyDeleteGracias mama! La cámara que me prestó Rob es fabulosa, y ahora que ya la se usar me salen muy lindas las fotitos :)
Deleteduhhh I forgor I had a blog too, guess I don't have to be anonymous anymore. lolz
ReplyDeleteJAJAJAJAJAJAJA omg...airhead ;p
DeleteYes...how colorful the town is....it's really nice...I was looking at the first photo and I notice a man preparing to take a shot of woman with red flower on her head and all..and for longest time I was like that woman's body just didn't go with her head...didn't realize it was a photo booth and it's a wall...haha...cathedrals...I just love me..that's why when I was in Amsterdam...there was so much...how is the food like the vendors food....I would eat those I think...
ReplyDeleteI totally wanted to take one of those touristy photo booth pics! I think I will when I visit again ;)
DeleteThere isn't much in the way of street vendors in this town, but I think they have stuff like hot dogs and ice cream and stuff in the city city.
What they do have is tons of places where you can get takeout - but like realllly really good food: pastas, chicken, salads, all kinds of gorgeous food. It's not easy to keep the weight down because all the food everywhere is so delish!
...I think I'm hungry hehehehehehe